This project is read-only.

Use as FAQ

Topics: Improvement
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM
This is more of a request to be able to hide things rather than create a lot of new functionality. I would really like to use the module as an FAQ module. It already has a great way for users to find answers to questions and questions can be categorized. However, I would only have one answer per question which would be written by internal staff.

There could be a simple FAQ mode and an interactive FAQ mode. Both modes would hide things like voting and add an answer. The interactive FAQ mode would allow logged in users to ask questions but they could only view their own questions (questions would be private by default). Moderators could make a question available to all to view if it would help the general public.

To make this happen, it think the templating idea being discussed would solve the hiding/showing of certain features. That would get me the simple FAQ mode. An interactive FAQ mode, however, would require additional coding so that people could submit their questions privately if they couldn't find a satisfactory answer to a question.

Even if I don't use this as an FAQ, I have another site where it will be perfect. I just like it so much that I'd like to be able to use it in a slightly different way. =) Keep up the good work.
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Hello,

FYI there are at least 2 or 3 dnn faq modules (or similar) on codeplex. So I think you'd better off with a simple module like that. Or even an expandable text module.

What you say is not impossible, but would depend on what kind of a templating solution we provide.
I doubt that we would try to cater to a usage scenario like you provide - it's too far from the core fonctionality of what we are trying to do, and there's quite a lot of work ahead. On the other hand, if our future templating solution is flexible enough, users should be able to remove tokens from templates which are responsible from voting or we could eventually provide a module setting that would hide voting.

Following up on your post, I have discovered that there's no way to restrict question posting to certain dnn roles ? Can you confirm that and if true log an issue please. https://dnnxchange.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

Your interactive solution idea is noteworthy. It could be a future 'help desk' /issue tracking solution like Jira for example.
For now a simple usecase scenario would be to enable people to ask Questions from their profile. These Questions would get fed to a central Admin Instance where onyl authorized users would be able to answer the user questions.

This feature is somewhat similar to the Social Group integration that was done recently by Babureddy...
Aug 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I agree with @gdemotchkine. There are modules that are built for FAQ, it would be better to look at them.

DNN xChange servers a different purpose though you can still use it.
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I can confirm (or maybe I didn't find it) that there is no way to restrict posting to specific user roles. The only way I found was to raise the Privilege requirements to post.

Whereas you might be correct that this should not become a FAQ module, then I think that the idea about being able to specify if a question should be public or not. I would actually suggest that you can specify permissions to a question in the same way as you can when posting to the journal. With the exception that Private would mean visible for Administrators/Moderators.